Many of my patients have recently complained of disturbed sleep and insomnia. So I thought I would dedicate this week's wellness tip to this very topic!
There can be several reasons as to why you may be plagued by disturbed/lack of sleep, and if it continues over a period of time,you may wish to book an appointment with me to investigate the cause.
In the meantime, preparing for sleep is a good place to start. Quality sleep, as well as, quantity is vital. A busy mind leading to broken sleep does not allow for a fresh mind on waking. Try some of these simple steps below to help you sleep well and wake well.
1. Use essential oils like vetiver and sandalwood in a vaporiser at bedtime to help you switch off and ground yourself so that you can enjoy quality sleep.
2. Reduce intake of alcohol and avoid heavy refined foods at night as these can impair sleep and contribute to a sluggish feeling in the morning.
3. Sleeping in a dark room which is not too warm allows you to enjoy a more restful sleep.
4. Before you go to bed, write a quick note on any thoughts that are on your mind; writing them down allows you to release them until the next day.
5.For circulating, unwanted thoughts at night, try a few drops of 'White Chestnut' Bach flower drops under you tongue before you go to bed.
6. Go to bed before midnight. It is said that one hour of sleep before midnight equates to two hours of sleep quality after midnight.
7. Try some ‘sleepytime’ herbs such as lavender, lemon balm, zizyphis, mexican valerian, skullcap, passionflower and chaste tree*.
8. Try supplemental magnesium and melatonin* to assist sleep quality and quantity.
9. If you wake in the morning feeling sluggish, start with a quick cool shower or a brisk walk around the block to bring energy quickly to a tired soul.
10. Vaporise citrus or leaf essential oils like orange, lemongrass, may chang and/or grapefruit to enliven you and give you a kick start to the day. These essential oils will help lift you physically and emotionally. Re-gain the feeling that you are really living and not just existing!
Lastly, try this D.I.Y Sleep Well Balm
- 40ml olive oil
- 10g beeswax
- 1 vitamin E capsule
- 20 drops lavender oil
- 10 drops lemon balm oil
- 10 drops chamomile oil
- 10 drops marjoram oil
Melt oil and wax together over low heat. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add contents of vitamin E capsule and oils. Stir thoroughly. Pour into glass jars. Label and cap when cold. To use: Rub a small amount into temples before bed.
* Herbs and supplements listed above are best prescribed by your naturopath or healthcare professional.
To book an appointment, please phone Ilkley Healing Centre on 01943 602177.